Sunday, December 28, 2014

What I Want to Remember...


Truthfully, this is not really a day that I want to remember. Unfortunately, some parts of this day are permanently sketched on my brain, while other parts are fuzzy. Some parts of the day I can remember the feelings so vividly they still have the power to knock me down. It's those feelings that make me want to crawl under a rock and wait for the calendar to move. And as much as I would like to do just that, I know its not what the boys would want to do nor is it what Damond would want us to do.
I remember waking up the 29th and not believing that Damond had been gone from the earth for 24hrs. It felt like an eternity. Now, it's been 2 years and I still can't believe I've made it this long without him. As the two year mark approached, I had no idea what I wanted to do with that day. It didn't feel right having another ceremony...the rock idea was out... I considered the ocean, but yesterday it finally came to me...
Due to an order miscommunication my family and I ended up with five rather large containers of soup. As I looked at the large amount of soup we had, I knew that it needed to go to some homeless people. As we drove around looking for kind, soup beneficiaries I couldn't help but remember Damond and his ability to serve his fellow man. He never let an opportunity pass to help someone in need. The humble guy in Damond would not have wanted me/people talking about his accomplishments and greatness, he would want me to remember, "because I have been given much, I, too must give."
On December 28th, 2012 the boys and I felt like we had lost everything! But what I want to remember from that day is that we did not. I do remember the love from not only a loving Heavenly Father and Savior, Jesus Christ, but of family and friends. I remember hugs, prayers, messages all sent to us from scattered distances. I remember quiet acts of service that did not go unnoticed, but made life just a little easier for a grieving family.
As we finished passing out the soup, I remembered a Thai commercial about a man who gives some soup to a needy child. This commercial had so many similarities to Damond that I decided I wanted to spend the 28th passing out more soup. I hope that anyone else that has a fond memory of Damond will feel prompted to give some warm soup to someone in need.


1 comment:

Laney said...

This is so beautiful! I thought about you often during the Holidays and we've prayed for your continued strength and peace. I hope 2015 is full of wonderful adventures for you and your boys! -Laney Porter